BSUPA is the only awarding body dedicated to Stand Up Paddle Boarding. It’s set up as a Not For Profit which is limited by guarantee. They approve SUP schools, run national championship and fun events.
We compare BSUPA to other SUP awarding bodies here
A summary of the qualifications available:
- BSUPA Level 1 Instructor – Take basic sessions
- BSUPA Level 2 Sup Tour/Race Instructor – Teach touring & Racing. Needs 100 hours experience and L1.
- BSUPA Level 2 Sup Surf Instructor – Teach surfing. Needs 100 hours experience at L1
- BSUPA Coach – Advanced developmental coaching
- BSUPA Trainer – Train & assess BSUPA instructors
An overview of the pathway
- Power Boat Level 2
- At least 40 hours of SUP experience
- Level 1 Course – 2 Days (1-day option if you have other watersports qualifications)
- Shadowing teaching require before sign-off
Level 2 is either Tour / Race OR Surf
- 100 hours delivery as a Level 1
- Surf – Ability to ride head high waves
- Tour / Race – Have entered races and or done tours
- Both require a good level of fitness, knowledge of locations & equipment
- Attend a 2- day course
- You can do a 3 day combined course and get both level 1 and 2.
This is either Surf OR Tour
- Level 1 & 2
- 100 Hours teaching at a specialist schools
- High level of personal skill
- You must apply to the BSUPA training team
BSUPA Trainer / Examiner
To become a Trainer you need extensive knowledge of SUP and be required to deliver instructor course in a geographical region. You need to apply to the BSUPA committee to become a trainer.
There is a list of course running on the BSUPA website running HERE
The following organisations run courses:
Sam Ross – email@example.com
Lucy McCormick – firstname.lastname@example.org
BSUPA Level 1 Instructor
A bit more detail on the level 1
Remit – Teach paddle boarding on a 1:6 ratio in sheltered conditions close to shore. This is ideal to work at activity centres in the UK teaching beginners sessions
- Current member of BSUPA
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 otherwise you can get an Inland only qualification.
- Be a competent paddle boarder IE step back turns and reasonable paddling technique.
- Minimum 40 hours SUP experience before the course. This doesn’t have to be all teaching but some teaching experience is required before certificates are issued.
- If you have not done any paddle boarding teaching before, a BSUPA Coach will have to come to observe you taking a session before a certificate is issued.
It’s a 2-day course. You will have to do some preparation beforehand as well
The 2-day course costs about £199
For more information see HERE
BSUPA Conversion Instructor Course
Rather sensibly BSUPA does a conversion course which recognises other watersport qualifications. The course is done on 1 day (rather than 2) and costs £145 (rather than £199). It also recognises that your instructor skills from other sports and shadowing teaching won’t be required.