Overview of Lifesaving Qualifications
There are several main providers of lifesaving qualifications in the UK
Other organisations to be aware of:
- International Life Saving Federation – Set Standards internationally.
- Surf Life Saving Wales (SLA) – Essentially the Welsh division on SLGGB but run independently.
- RNLI – Work with the awarding bodies and a large employer of lifeguards
Lifesaving qualifications progress in term of the severity of conditions, skills & experience required from pool, open water, beach to surf.
Things to consider when choosing a qualification:
- Lifesaving awards can include 16-hour first-aid which is needed for lots of other qualifications so for not much extra time/ money you can turn a first-aid into a lifeguarding award.
- Lifesaving qualifications understandably need more regular revalidations than other awards.
- Consider joining a Lifesaving clubs to get experience. SLSGB has a list HERE
Royal Life Saving Society Qualifications (RLSS) – HERE
Surf Lifesaving GB Qualifications (SLGB) – HERE
What qualification needs what lifesaving award
Below is a list of what other awarding bodies recognise which Lifesaving qualifications. We are still adding to it!
Coasteering – NVBLQ is often a prerequisite but bare in mind coasteering training varies lots with providers.
Surfing – Surf Coach Safety & Rescue is a prerequisite for International Surf Association Level 1 Instructor course
Paddle Boarding – ASI recognise Lifesaving qualification in their paddle boarding qualifications